Friday, March 21, 2014

Za'atar Popcorn

Mar 20 2014

Awhile back my wife’s cousin gave me a jar of Israeli Za’atar mix. One taste led to a good pinch and probably could have eaten the whole jar, delicious. Right away I thought it would be good on my favorite snack, popcorn. Za’atar is actually a plant in the thyme family and grows wild and is cultivated.

The Sindyanna Za’atar mix I used is made of Za’atar leaves and other spices such as sesame seeds, thyme, marjoram, sumac and more. I could not pick out one definitive spice, just one savory flavor with the nutty flavor from the toasted sesame seeds. I ordered some Lebanese style from Amazon that will be here tomorrow and anxious to taste it.

I looked for ways to use it on popcorn and one was just olive oil over the popcorn and the Za’atar mix. I popped my favorite corn, Amish lady finger in my stove top Whirlypopper. I used 1 Tbs. olive oil and one Tbs. butter with a half cup of popcorn. I mixed up 1 Tbs. olive oil, 1 Tbs. melted butter and a teaspoon of white truffle oil to pore over. Then I added the Za’atar mix and stirred until well coated.

After supper we watched Andrew Zimmeran in Montreal, Canada. That was a great show and made me ready for our snack so I made it up. We both had a bowl and then finished what was left. All I can say is delicious!

The Players














In the popper














My whirlypopper














My bowl of goodies

No comments:

Post a Comment