Saturday, March 1, 2014

5-Way Cincinnati Style Chili

Feb 28 2014

The frigid weather we have been having had me hungry for some chili. Earlier this week I had it planned for tonight?  It turned out being 26 deg. today so could have cooked out but was set for chili.

Our son had lived in Cincinnati and loved the Skyline chili. They have restaurants all over so if you live close to a big city chances are one is close by. Cincinnati chili is completely different than any other chili. The standard is served over spaghetti, a 3-way they add shredded cheese, 4-way they add beans or onions and a 5-way is with beans and onions. They also have 4 kinds of Coney dogs and some burritos.

I made what was supposed to be a copycat recipe once but it was not close. While searching for chili a little different at Food52 I ran across this one by Savvy Julie for Cincinnati style that sounded like it might be close. I have never eaten at one of the restaurants but have bought their canned chili. It is all beef, fine grind and pretty runny with the sauce.

It was pretty easy to make compared to the way I usually do chili, taking 3 to 4 hours. You just throw all the ingredients in a pot, stir to mix, crumble in the ground beef, cover and bring to a boil. Then turn down to a slow boil for an hour or to the desired consistency.

The only change I did was use 3 ½ cups of water instead of 4. If I needed I could add water and still get it done for our 6:00 supper time. A half hour in I did a taste test, it was good but too watery yet so I added 3 tablespoons of tomato paste and thought it needed a tad more cinnamon so I added 4 or 5 shakes.

I served my wife the 3-way and I had 5-way. My beans were a can of pinto beans; I drained but left some juice, heated up with a little chili powder and cumin. I had baked a loaf of bread earlier to have with it and we both had a salad. We both thought it was really good!

My adjustments next time will be to use ground round instead of chuck to cut some fat since the way it’s cooked you don’t get to drain the beef. I think I will also try adding another ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of chili powder.
Ingredients














All in the pot














Ready to serve














My Chili Supper


No comments:

Post a Comment