Friday, March 28, 2014

Chicken Breasts, Cheese Potatoes & Curtido slaw

Mar 27 2014

The other day I went through my beer carry out and Sandman gave me a pint of pineapple vinegar he had made. I remembered when I was making my Curtido, S.A. sauerkraut; they also made a fresh version of slaw using pineapple vinegar. I made up a batch of it and had it in the fridge about 6 hours before supper.

I would make some cheesy potatoes for another side and some baked chicken breasts. I usually use a can of Campbell’s cheddar cheese in my potatoes. When I opened it looked a little brown instead of the nice yellow. Checked the due date and it was this month. I was afraid to use it and found another can of Rico’s cheddar cheese. Due date on it was 2012, I didn’t even open it!

I made up the potatoes with a layer of potatoes, some shredded triple cheddar and then a second layer. I added half and half cream to come up half way. They were more like a cheese scalloped potatoes than my usual but just as good. I put them in a 350 deg. oven for 1 ½ hours lid on then took the lid off the last 20 minutes.

I figured an hour would do for the chicken breast. I made a mix of about a cup of Panko bread crumbs, 1/3 cup of parmesan and some Lawrey’s  seasoned salt. I placed them on a foil lined broiler pan and in the oven. All should be done by 6:00pm.

I checked the chicken at 5 till, it didn’t look brown enough. I figured the potatoes would hold and I could put the chicken under the broiler. I checked the temp and they were at 176 deg. I was afraid maybe I would dry them out so I let all set about 5 minutes and served it up. I had a little good bread with my butter!

I should have taken the time to brown the chicken; it was some juicy tasty chicken. My wife even said the same. If I had not been doing the potatoes I would have done the chicken at 375 or 400 deg. We both really like the slaw for some a little different. The pineapple vinegar is not as acidic, sour, as other vinegar.
Slaw ingredients














Ready to mix














Bread














Sliced














For the chicken














Ready to bake














Cheese potatoes














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment