Friday, September 16, 2011

Stuffed Pork Loin & Fingerling Potatoes

I am tired out now after 4 cooks in two days. Yesterday for lunch I did bacon wrapped bacon appetizers and Brat burgers & fried green tomatoes for supper. Today I did pan pudding & ring bologna for lunch and stuffed pork loin & fingerling potatoes for supper.
I had not done a pork loin for awhile & wanted to try one stuffed. I looked at a lot of recipes for stuffed loins & nothing looked good to me. I thought that sauerkraut goes good with pork & what else would I add to it; bacon, onions, & garlic, a granny Smith apple and a couple cloves of garlic. I had brined the loin overnight. After I was done with my lunch smoke I relaxed for awhile, got my birds fed & watered. I took the loin from the brine, rinsed & dried. I seasoned it on both sides with a little coarse salt & fresh ground pepper; then back in the fridge to dry an hour or two. I had read up on how to stuff a loin. Most recommended closing the ends & tying it up. I had a large needle that would work for sewing up the ends. I browned up the bacon, about 4 slices diced up, added a small onion chopped, & two large cloves of garlic sliced thin. I did that up early & let cool before mixing with the kraut & apples. When it was time to do up the loin I put a cutting board on a large cookie sheet. I used a boning knife, keeping level & centered and went as deep as I could from one end. I sliced sideways some then inserted a wooden spoon handle. I took the boning knife & went in from the other end until I met the spoon handle then worked the knife sideways some. I used the wooden spoon & tried to enlarge the whole from both ends. I had mixed up the cooled bacon & onions with chopped apple and kraut. I stuffed from one end using my fingers & the spoon then repeated from the other end. I got most of the stuffing, about 2 to 3 cups stuffed in the loin. I didn’t take any photos of the stuffing process since it wasn’t pretty! Most was in the loin but had some on the cutting board & in the cookie sheet, some on the countertop, some on the floor, & some on my hands! I took my needle & cooking twine and sewed both ends shut then tied it all up, back in the fridge until smoke time! I let the wife clean up the mess. She is my Sous chef, but so far I don’t let her do much of the cooking, just some prep and all the clean up, well almost all!
The last loin I did I seared it on high for 15 min. then went to 225 until I got 150 deg IT. I would do the same with this one. When I got the Traeger above 400 deg I added the loin fat side up, it was 4:12. I would go fat side down after the sear. The smoker was at 430 deg when the 15 min was up; I turned it & had some nice grill marks on it. I went to 225 deg. & inserted two temp probes. It was having trouble coming down to 225 deg so I helped it along by opening the lid every once in awhile. This was probably due to the 5 fire bricks I have in it, the ambient temp was 60 deg. At some point I added some fingerling potatoes, drizzled with olive oil, a little coarse salt, & Italian seasoning mix. The potatoes were red, white, & purple. I think they were on about 45 min. When the loin got to 135 deg I put on some fresh green beans in water, some onion, real bacon bits, a little balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper. At about 6:00 one probe was reading 150 & one was 138, I think it is reading about 10 deg low. I checked with my analog pocket probe & had 145 to 150 from one end to the other so I pulled it took inside & tented with foil to rest for 15 min. before slicing. A lot of people say to pull loins at 140 deg but I am old school & find it hard to pull any pork until it reaches 150 deg. I served it with the potatoes, green beans, and some bread & butter. My wife & I both loved it; the pork was moist & almost melt in your mouth. I would have liked more stuffing, the next time I will try to widen the slot more with the boning knife. A reverse sear might work better for a Traeger with fire bricks, but I am usually too busy at the end of the cook trying to bring everything else together. Besides this worked well for me, I am retired & have the time to sit there, open & close the lid to bring the temp down so I don’t cook it too fast.

Bacon, onions & garlic sauteing


Stuffing ingredients


Needle & sewed end


All hogtied


After the sear fat side up


After sear fat side down redy to finish




Almost ready


Ready to carve


Some sliced


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment