Sunday, September 11, 2011

Legs, Wings, & Potato Salad

A fellow pellethead friend Shelly posted photos of his Teriyaki Chicken Legs & made me hungry for them. Shelly does some great cooking on his Green Mountain pellet grill & takes great photos of his cooks. He represents the healthier side of smoking meats & side dishes he prepares. Follow my link to Pellethead Forum, under Favorite sites, and check out his posts. He usually posts under Green Mountain Grills and General discussion.
I got my legs marinating the night before. I removed the skin from the legs & made a marinade of a half bottle of Allegro Teriyaki Marinade and 3 Tbs. Hoisin Sauce. Placed in a plastic bag & in the fridge for 16 hrs. I had bought 6 legs & 8 wings; for the wings I wanted to try some 17th Street Magic Dust on them. Bon appétit chose their ribs as the best in the USA. I like their saying, “You can put all the sauce on you want but you still have to master the art of cooking BBQ”. After more than 30 yrs cooking BBQ I am still learning! Four hours before the cook I cut the wing tips off, wet them down with a drizzle of red wine vinegar & dusted them down with the 17th Street Magic Dust & in the fridge until cook time.
Before lunch I made my potato salad. I used Klondike Rose potatoes; they have red skin & yellow flesh. For my recipe I used Justin Wilsons Picnic Potato salad, I have found no better for my taste. It is for 10 lbs. of potatoes but easily reduced to half or a quarter. 2 ½ lbs. is plenty for the wife & I. It is more dilly than most potato salad, using 2 to 1 dill relish to sweet relish. My wife doesn’t like it quite so dilly so I use 1 to 1 and I use 3 eggs in the quarter recipe. If you don’t know Justin Wilson was a Cajun cook & story teller. He had one of the early cook shows on TV. I loved his Cajun accent & could listen to him all day. Justin died in 2001.
I planned to do the chicken legs 3 hours at 225 deg. per Shelly, and would put my wings on after an hour, do for 2 more hours, remove the chicken legs to my indoor oven to hold, and turn heat up to 375 to finish the wings. All went well & we ate at 6:30. It all tasted good, my wife who usually won’t eat the legs thought these were good. I prefer the Bone Suckin Rub; I used awhile back, over the 17th Street Magic Dust but in the end will probably revert to Penzey’s Galena Street Chicken & Rib Rub.

Link to Potato Salad Recipe

Potato salad & marinade fixins


Wings seasoned


Potato salad


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment