Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Pork, Bacon, Corn and Tomato Skillet Meal & Skillet Cornbread

Aug 22 2016

I got a quart of tomatoes in the freezer this AM and after lunch the wife and I did up 2 doz. Ears of corn for the freezer. I got 8 one pound bags for the freezer and it will taste great this winter.

The wife discovered a bag of corn in the freezer from last year so I used it in my supper. I had some pulled pork and jowl bacon from the freezer and had enough tomatoes left from this morning to use.
I had a recipe in my head, pork, bacon, green peppers, onions, garlic, corn, and tomatoes all done in a CI skillet. I would season with some Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, a little Cholula hot sauce. I had a box of Zatarain’s garlic butter rice I would serve it over.

Cornbread would taste good with it so I baked a Miracle Maize Sweet mix in a CI skillet.

I got the rice going in my rice cooker and prepped the onions and peppers. I started with 3 slices of jowl bacon diced and browned in the skillet. I removed the bacon and added in the pork just to heat through well then removed it in with the bacon. I added diced onions with some dried garlic flakes and two pats of butter. When the onions started to take on some brown I added the diced green pepper and then the corn. The liquid in the corn helped deglaze the skillet.

After that all heated up I added the pork, bacon and Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire and hot sauce. I added the tomatoes and stirred all well and let it simmer about 10 minutes, I added about ¼ cup of dry red wine at the end.


I served it over the rice with some buttered cornbread. Not too bad for off the top of my head and throwing it together. I think it would have been a little better with more tomatoes.

My cornbread














Ingredients














Browning the bacon














Pork added in to heat














Chopped onions and dried garlic added














Green pepper and corn added in














Meat seasonings and tomatoes added in














Ready to serve














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment