Thursday, October 29, 2015

Feta Brined Chicken over Saffron Rice

Oct 28 2015

We needed rain but not all at once! It started yesterday after noon and quit just before noon today; we got 2.6 inches. From the looks of the radar everyone east of the Mississippi had rain. The sun finally came out and it was 65 deg. but then it rained again just as I was ready to carry my chicken in!

This was a recipe that caught my eye and said I have to try it. The recipe was for doing a whole chicken in the oven. I changed it for doing a split fryer on my Traeger pellet smoker.

I had my chicken brined and seasoned and got it on my Traeger at 4:30; I had it pre-heated to 200 deg. grill level. After a half hour I eased the temp to 310 deg. grill level. It took an hour and 40 minutes total to get to a breast IT of 178 deg.

I had a package of Vigo saffron rice done in my rice cooker for a side. My other side was carrots; I had cut and boiled for 10 minutes then let set until the chicken was about done. When the chicken was at 175 deg. breast IT I drained the carrots and added to a skillet with some butter and olive oil on medium high.

It was raining so I covered the chicken with foil and took inside and finished up the carrots. When the carrots were getting a little brown I added some Ketjap manis, (sweet soy sauce) and some Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle.

I served some breast meat over the rice and I had a leg with mine too. One other side was a slice of my last garden tomato with some seasoning and feta cheese. The wife said the chicken was good and moist and tender. We both really liked the Ketjap manis on the carrots; that is something I will be using more of with carrots. I had thought I would be able to taste the feta but not sure it came through for me.

I don’t think I will use the Vigo saffron rice again; I have used some other brands that are better.

Click Here for printable recipe

Ingredients














In the Feta brine














Ready for the smoker














About done














Carrots with Ketjap glaze














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment