Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Columbian Black Beef

Oct 20 2015

It was a sunny 72 deg. today! I spent most of the afternoon cleaning out flowers and garden. There were quite a few beer breaks listening to music on my deck.

I found this recipe by Hola at mycolumbiancooking blogspot. Her recipe called for pureeing an onion and 8 cloves of garlic to marinate the beef in overnight. She then seared the beef in butter and cooked covered with water for two hours, then adding 1 cup of coca cola, ½ cup of brown sugar, and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar and cook another 20 minutes.  She served it with white rice and plantains.

Most American versions of coca cola beef were done in a Crockpot with coca cola and a pack of onion soup mix. I merged the recipes and methods to my liking. I did marinade the about 2 pound chuck roast it the pureed onions and garlic overnight. I scraped most of the marinade off to add later. I seared the beef in2 tablespoons of butter 3 minutes per side. I deglazed the skillet with a little water to add to the pot.

The beef went into a Crockpot topped with the marinade and pan juices. I added enough cola to almost cover the beef and turned to high for a half hour then to low for about 7 hours. After two hours I added some carrots and 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce then two hours before it was done I added a good tablespoon of brown sugar.

I cannot get plantains around here so I added the carrots; which were good with it. When we were ready to eat I removed the beef and carrots and took any fat off the beef. I placed it in a 200 deg. oven to hold. I used a gravy separator to pour off the fat and thickened it with about 2 tablespoons of flour in some water.


My wife had some corn bread with hers and I had rye bread; there was a little butter folded in the rye bread! We both liked it but a little too sweet. The beef was some of the most tender I have made. I would like to do it again but omit the brown sugar; there is enough in the cola, and use the onion soup mix. This may give it a more savory sweet taste.

Beef, onions and garlic














Pureed onion and garlic














Ready for overnight in the fridge














After the marinade














Searing the beef














Deglazing the skillet














All in but the carrots














Thickening the gravy














Beef and carrots














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment