Sunday, July 14, 2013

Kimchi Meatloaf and Fresh Corn Casserole

July 13 2013
















I had mixed kimchi in a beef burger and loved it so my next try with it would be a meatloaf. I searched the net for some ideas on other seasonings to add. I ran across a recipe from ladyandpup.com for a kimchi meatloaf sandwich topped with cheese on some good toasted bread. I decided I wanted to use her recipe. I changed some on her ingredients and the cooking method.

I used 1 ¾ pounds 80-20 ground beef and added a bacon beef burger I had. I had to use fresh baby bella mushrooms, I could not find dried. I chopped and soaked them in half and half. I left out the ginger and the corn starch.  I knew I could not find dashi so used a teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules.

I could not find Korean Gochujang for the glaze so I used Mae Ploy sweet Korean sauce, it was sweet but had a little heat to it.

I made up the meatloaf a few hours early and in the fridge. I think some chill time helps hold it together. I made up the corn casserole then put the glazed meatloaf in the oven at 485 deg. for 11 minutes to start browning and then it went in my Traeger heated to 325 deg. I put the casserole in the smoker too. Total cook time was 1 hour 20 minutes for an IT of 160 deg. for the meatloaf. I brushed on some more of the glaze after 1 hour.

I sliced the meatloaf for two sandwiches, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and some Mexican blend shredded cheese. I placed under the broiler to melt the cheese, and had the bread toasting in my steel skillet. For me this is easier than browning the whole sandwich and having to flip.

I served the sandwiches with the corn casserole and some marinated tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers.

For me the sandwich was great. My wife who does not like kimchi even thought it was good.
Meatloaf ingredients














Ready to mix














Chopped Kimchi














Loaf made














The glaze














Squash and onions for the casserole














Ready to bake














After browning in the oven














In the smoker














Resting














Sliced














My salad














My Plate















No comments:

Post a Comment