Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bacon BLT's and Stuffed Portobellas















July 27, 2013

Sandman had given me ½ pound of his buckboard bacon and I had a fresh tomato from my garden to make BLT’s for supper. Sandman is a fellow member of Lets Talk BBQ.

This AM I went to Sutters little red barn and bought two baker’s dozen ears of bi-color corn to do up and freeze. It is picked fresh daily and you can tell it when you husk it out. The ears break easily from any stem left on. I saved out 4 ears for some corn pudding and did the rest on my gas cooker outside; 4.5 minutes in rapid boiling water and then in ice water to cool down. I cut it all from the cob and my wife bagged it up. We got 6 one pound bags to vacuum seal and freeze.

After I got all cleaned up from doing the corn I had about an hour rest before getting supper ready. I must have been tired; I didn’t get any pics of the bacon and stuffed Portobellas on the smoker.

I did the bacon on the flat side of my Grill Grates at 300 deg. I had to do two batches and then got the mushrooms ready. For the stuffing I had some chopped artichoke hearts, topped that with some Panko bread crumbs and then dotted it with my gorgonzola chive garlic butter.

I did the portobellas at 300 deg. cut side down for 5 minutes then added the stuffing and in for another 15 minutes. I didn’t get the top looking like I wanted so under the broiler for a while and I almost burnt them.


I served the BLT’s on wheat bolillos with Hellman’s mayo. The BLT was great and the mushrooms were pretty good even almost burnt. The bolillos are a Mexican bread roll and make a great sandwich bun, crusty on the outside and light tender insides.

Lettuce and stuffing mixes














Mushrooms just off the smoker














My BLT, mushroom and a Yuengling













No comments:

Post a Comment