Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Pork Burnt Ends, White Yam and Tomato Casserole

Aug 18 2015

I had to try Old Dave’s pork burnt ends; I had the same rub and sauces he used, Blues Hog. I followed his recipe pretty close but I started with some already cooked pork butt. I had over a pound of pork butt leftover so I cut it in 1 inch chunks and trimmed most all the fat. I seasoned it with Blues Hog rub a couple of hours before cooking.

I had a white yam leftover to have and a tomato, pretzel bun and cheese casserole I made up from tomatoes from my garden. I layered the bun halves in a buttered casserole dish; wet each one with some chicken broth and a pat of butter. I then sliced up some red and yellow tomatoes on top and added seasoning. It went in a 350 deg. oven covered for 40 minutes, then removed the cover and added a little over a cup of mixed shredded cheddar cheese and in another 20 minutes.

The pork went on my smoker on a frog mat to smoke for an hour at 180 deg. about 200 deg. grill level. I then placed it in a foil pan and added sauce; I just eyeballed it and used about 2 parts Blues Hog Original to 1 part Tennessee Red Sauce. I upped the controller to 200 deg. for another hour. I then added a little brown sugar and 3 pats of butter. It went another hour for a total of 3 hours. The last 2 hours it was at 225-230 deg. grill level.


 The burnt ends and the tomato casserole were done at 6:00. I heated up the yams and served the wife and me. I did not think I would be crazy about the burnt ends, since I am not a fan of overly sweet meats. I loved these and will definitely fix them again. I liked Dave’s choice of the sauce and rubs, the sweet and heat was about evenly balanced. I would like the heat to stand out but then the wife would not like them. These are good Dave, thanks for the recipe!

Seasoned Pork














On the smoker














Sauces added














Buns with chicken broth and butter














Tomatoes and seasoning added














Cheese added the last 20 minutes














Burnt ends done














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment