Friday, August 7, 2015

Pickled Ham and Smoked Garlic Ring Bologna for week-end snacks

Aug 07 2015

I haven’t done many cooks the last few days. Our daughter in law, who is a good painter agreed to paint the front and back barn siding for me. I had started washing down the rest of the house which is vinyl coated aluminum siding and was half done. She wanted to start painting Sat. AM so Thursday I finished washing the house down.

I mowed grass today and had planned on smoking some week-end snacks. Art, a fellow member of LTBBQ had posted a recipe for Pickled Ham from the Ronneberg Restaurant in Iowa, looked good to me. I went to my butcher Kah Meats and bought a center cut slice of his smoked ham; 1.6 pounds. I also bought some of his ring bologna.

After I got the grass mowed I fired up my Traeger at 200 deg. Even though the ham was fully cooked I decided to smoke it some first before pickling. The ring bologna I would do my favorite way; cut slits in it and add slivers of garlic. As an afterthought this time I added some Blues Hog Rub and rubbed it into the slits too.

I got the ham and bologna on at 1:30pm and after ½ hour went to 220 deg. and another ½ hour went to 240 deg.  In 1 ½ hours both were done. My grill level temps were running 25 deg. hotter than set temp.

When the ham had cooled enough I trimmed all the fat and edges, the edges were a cooks treat! I cut the ham into ½ inch pieces and added it along with a small sliced onion, 1 ½ cups water, 1 cup white vinegar and some fresh ground pepper to a half gallon ball jar. It went into the fridge until tomorrow night.


I didn’t let the bologna cool long before I had to try it. It was delicious and liked the addition of the rub. I just now had a couple pieces of the bologna for a late night snack and it is half gone now.

Ham and bologna ready for the smoker














Hams done














Bologna done














Ham cooling














Bologna ready for snacking!














Ham in to pickle

No comments:

Post a Comment