Thursday, January 26, 2012

Why do I Blog?

Why do I blog? I guess the simplest answer is I like to cook and like to share. My hobbies over the years have been cooking and photography. Recently at a family gathering my wife was telling one of my cousins & his wife that I liked to cook and I always had to take photos of my cooking. My cousin looked at me with a confused look & said “What the heck do you do that for?” I answered because I like to. I should have said for the same reason you take pictures of your horses and carry that album to show everyone. He and his wife have been avid horse people and have seven riding horses.

You won’t find pro looking photos here but I take the clearest & sharpest photos I can. I don’t have the time to take my plates to a light tent to take the photos. What I cook I eat and I like hot food so my backdrops are my cupboard top, my range top, my smoker, and my dining room table. This way I can get the photos over with quick and sit down to eat and enjoy.

My Mother was a great cook, she could throw a good meal together quicker than anyone I know. My favorite from her was baked smothered steak, cheesy scalloped potatoes, & corn pudding. She used to do some great porterhouse steaks too, as big as a plate.

My wife’s Mother and her sister, of German descent, were great cooks. Her Mother fried the best chicken & wild rabbit you ever ate. She also made fried squirrel then simmered it slow in gravy, delicious. I was glad she showed my wife how to do Knopfles, German drop noodles. My wife’s aunt made the best hot German potato salad. It was so good that is all you wanted for a meal. I have her recipe but cannot do it like she did.

My wife was not a very good cook when we got married. She says she never told me she was a good cook, only that she was good at typing and taking shorthand. She did turn into a pretty good cook before I took over. I was laid off one summer so she went to work to help out. I had to cook for our daughter & son and that’s when I learned to appreciate the work a woman usually does. I would get the kitchen cleaned up after lunch & only had an hour or two to relax before it was time to fix supper for when the wife came home. I kinda took over the cooking after that but did full time after I got on day shift for my last 10 years of working. She does most all the clean up and that works out good.

So I just enjoy doing this blog, I hope people from all over the world can enjoy my site, my cooking, & some of my recipes. In this way maybe I can spread some good will. Our Governments don’t seem to do a very good job of it!

Below is two of my best bird photos from the summer. A Goldfinch perched on a dead cone flower, for the seeds.



Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment