Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Steak Fingers and Beer Brined Oven Fries

Jan 12 2016

I had not fixed steak fingers in a while so I was kind of hungry for some. When our kids were young it was a way to get them to eat steak. I like to use sirloin but to be more frugal round steak is good too.
I cut the steak into half inch strips and used to coat with a little flour and seasoning then fry in a little oil until brown. This time I just shallow fried them in some olive oil and seasoned with Lawry’s seasoning salt. I had to do two batches and removed them to a bowl lined with paper towels.

The grandson didn’t have school so he was here to eat with us. He doesn’t like a lot of seasoning so I took it easy on it. I made a batch of beer brined oven fries and steamed some corn on the cob.

The fries are 1 ½ pound potatoes. I cut the ends off and cut out the eyes but leave some skin on and cut them in ½ fries. In a bowl add one lager beer and a tablespoon of coarse salt; stir until the salt is dissolved. Add the fries and add water to just cover. Place in the fridge for 3 to 6 hours; when ready to make them drain and dry well. Place them in a bowl and coat well with olive oil then add seasoning. I used Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle.

Preheat the oven to 425 deg. Place the fries on a sheet pan in one layer. I cover my pan with non-stick aluminum foil so the fries don’t stick. Bake for 20 minutes then stir to flip and bake another 10 to 15 minutes.


I found a new dip for fries; 2/3 cups sour cream and 1/3 cup BBQ sauce. My BBQ sauce was a little sweet so I added 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar and it was just right. We all enjoyed the meal and the dip was good to dip the steak fingers in too.

The sirloin














Fries ready for the oven














Sour cream and BBQ sauce dip














Frying the steak














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment