Sunday, January 17, 2016

Made some Ghee for the first time

Jan 17 2016

A fellow LTBBQ forum member and good friend Ahron spurred me to make some ghee. I use a wide mouth funnel to fill jars and to strain things. One time I had cut a square of cheese cloth for straining. When I poured the stuff in cheese cloth and all went down the funnel so I came up with the clothes pins to hold it in place.

The Ghee, clarified butter is made by bringing it to a boil on med. high and the down to med. low and cooking it for 7 to 8 minutes. Skim off all the foam that comes to the top. Pour it through a cheese cloth into a jar with a lid. It does not need to be refrigerated and will keep about a month. Ghee is used in a lot of Indian dishes.


I had a pound of Troyer unsalted butter to do; their butter is made from grass fed cows. I cooked it down and it made a half pint so next time I will do 2 pounds. Now all I have to do is cook with it to see how I like it.

















Update:
A correction here on my ghee; what I made here was really clarified butter. I followed a recipe from Serious Eats that said it was ghee and after bringing to a boil I only cooked it on med. low for 7 to 8 minutes. To make ghee you have to cook it more; up to 45 minutes until the milk solids that settle to the bottom turn a light brown and have a nutty smell. Take it off the burner and cool some then strain it and you have ghee. It will also keep longer than clarified butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment