Saturday, January 9, 2016

Smoked Jowl Bacon

Jan 09 2016

Crazy Ohio weather, Jan 09 and 50 deg. I was setting outdoors enjoying the warm weather and thought I should be smoking something. I have a freezer almost full of meat I have done this summer and need to use up. I had some jowl bacon in the fridge from my butcher and had planned on using some in beans I am doing tomorrow. I thought I will do up some extra to and do on my Traeger; and set here sippen beer and enjoy some cooking out while I can.

I think I like jowl bacon better than any other and at almost half the cost of regular bacon I use it often.
I cut off two ½ thick slices for my beans and cut the rest at ¼ inch; enough to fill my smoker. I started at 200 deg. about 240 grill level and then went to 250 deg. about 275 grill level. It took about 1 ½ hours to get it where I wanted.


Naturally I had to sample a piece when it was done; food from heaven!!!

The bacon, just over 2 lbs.














Sliced about half of it














In my Traeger














Will make some good sandwiches

No comments:

Post a Comment