Friday, August 1, 2014

Rib Eyes, Baked Potatoes and a Salad

Jul 31 2014

Seeing a lot of good rib cooks in LTBBQ and watching the Steak Cook Off in Magnolia had me hungry for some good ribs and steaks. Yesterday I went to my butcher and bought a rack of BB ribs and two nice rib eyes. The rib eyes were $9.39 each. The rest of the day the wife and I washed windows and I washed the shutters and house with my power sprayer. We had left overs for supper.

I finished up two windows in the front this afternoon and rested until getting my steaks prepped. I salted the steaks with some grey sea salt on each side and wrapped in plastic wrap. They went in the fridge for 2 hours and then I wiped them off good and back in the fridge almost two hours before grilling.

I had some good gorgonzola, garlic and chive butter to have on the steaks and baked potatoes. My wife always wants the potatoes done with potato rods in the oven. I do them at 350 deg. for an hour and a half; you wind up with crisp potato skins after you eat the baked potato out.

I had a handful of snap peas a friend gave us from her garden to add to a salad made with some Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, rehydrated dried shallots and garlic with sea salt pepper, white balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I par boiled the peas for one minute and then cooled.

Before getting the steaks on I baked some take home and bake garlic knots that taste good with any meal.

I had my Weber Spirit gas grill with grill grates heated to a steady 460 deg. I sprayed one side of the steaks with some olive oil and that side down on the grill. Checked at 3 minutes and they were sticking a little so in another minute they turned easily. They were on another 3 minutes then took inside. I added some of the butter and covered with foil while I prepared the baked potatoes for us.

The rib eyes were great and I got them just the way we like them. The only thing that would have made them better was if they were one inch thick instead of the ¾ inch they were. I think that’s about the most I ever paid for rib eyes but the wife and I sure enjoyed them.

Now I have to go season up the BB ribs and wrap in plastic wrap overnight and have them tomorrow night for a rib fix!

The steaks ready for a 2 hour dry brine














Garlic Knots














Salads














Potatoes about done














Some fresh ground pepper and ready to grill














One side done














Butter added and a rest for 5 minutes














My supper














Just right for me

No comments:

Post a Comment