Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Marinated Tomato, Cucumber and Onion Salad

My marinated tomato cucumber and onion salad

One of my favorite uses of fresh garden tomatoes is a vinegar marinated salad of tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. Here is my recipe.

4 med size tomatoes of two large cut in wedges
½ of an English cucumber sliced thin or 4 baby seedless cucumbers
1 med sweet or Vidalia onion sliced and cut in fourths
1 cup rice wine or apple cider vinegar, white will work too
1 TBS. coarse salt, kosher or I like the grey sea salt
1 or 2 teaspoons sugar
Fresh ground pepper to taste
About 2 TBS olive oil
Enough water to cover
Some dill weed (optional)
Garlic (optional)

Mix all together in a bowl with cover. Cover and in the fridge at least 4 hours before eating; 8 hours is better for the onions to get marinated well. I am not always exact with my measurements bit this is basically how I make it. If you like it more sour use more vinegar; if you want sweeter use more sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment