Monday, August 18, 2014

Shrimp Boil 2014

Aug 17 2014

This is a meal I wait for every summer when the sweet corn is on. I have been doing it for years at least once a year. I tried to get the kids and another couple together for one but finally I said I was having it. The kids didn’t even make it down; they are putting a new wood floor in the grandson’s bedroom. Oh well the wife and I had a party!

All you need is a large pot with a strainer big enough to cook in. It will feed as many as you can afford to buy shrimp for and according to how big your pot is. I used one of my smaller pots for just the wife and me!

My ingredients were:
1 pound of shell on wild caught Key West pink shrimp @ $12.99
½ pound of my butchers smoked sausage, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 pound new red potatoes
3 ears sweet corn broke in small pieces
1 medium onion
1 head of garlic, top cut off
½ lemon
About 3 TBS. liquid Zatarain’s shrimp and crab seasoning
1 TBS. Old Bay seasoning
1 TBS. Cajun seasoning, I used Penzey’s
Salt to taste
Water to boil
Crusty bread and butter

It is pretty simple to cook, put all in, except the corn and shrimp, a pot of rapid boiling water and cook for 20 minutes, add in the corn and in another 5 minutes add the shrimp for the last 5 minutes. Pull up the strainer and let the water drain off. It is best to use a glove to lift out the strainer; the steam is hot! Pour onto a large platter or a table lined with butchers paper. Dig in and enjoy!

You don’t need much for a side; some fresh tomatoes or a green salad. I had tomatoes from my garden and I melted a TBS of my gorgonzola, garlic chive butter with a TBS. of regular butter in a bowl for me and another bowl for the wife to dip our bread and shrimp in. My wife and I were both hungry and put a pretty good dent in this.

Normally this should feed 4 people but I would use 1 pound of the sausage and another ear of corn. I like to use medium shrimp since I think they take on more of the flavors than larger shrimp do. If you like beer it sure goes good with this!

My garden tomatoes














Garlic bread














Ingredients














Can't forget the garlic and onion














All in but the corn and shrimp














Corn and shrimp added














All done














Ready to dig in














My first plate

No comments:

Post a Comment