Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Brussels Sprout Kimchi

Aug 05 2014

Today was a lazy day for me, kind of hot out, a good day for light work. We were having leftovers for supper so I didn’t have to cook. I made a batch of marinated tomato, cucumber and onion salad this morning. After lunch I cleaned the Brussels sprouts and got them in the salt water to soak for 4 hours.

I love kimchi and love Brussels sprouts so decided to try a batch of this. I have had the recipe for a long time from Epicurious. I am not sure they really knew the ingredient gochujang they said it was ground Korean chili flakes. Gochujang is a Korean condiment made from fermenting soy products, bean curd and Korean red pepper flakes. I cannot find it locally so I just used coarse Korean red pepper flakes that I use to make Napa kimchi. All the recipes I have seen for making Napa kimchi use the Korean pepper flakes so not sure why they would use gochujang for Brussels sprout kimchi. In place of sriracha I used Cholula hot sauce.

I got in a little power nap and then watered my tomatoes and flowers. About 5:00 I made up the sauce to add to the Brussels sprouts. I drained and rinsed the sprouts; mixed it all up and got it in two quart jars. It said to let set at room temperature for 3 to 5 days and then store in the fridge. I will go the 4 or 5 days and then in the fridge 4 to 5 days before sampling. I am not sure how it will turn out and will come back and update after I have tasted it.

I got my kitchen cleaned up and then the wife and I had some leftover Bulgogi beef and veggies over rice and some of my marinated salad for our supper.
The sprouts














Trimmed and halved














Some of the ingredients














Sauce pureed














Korean red pepper flakes added














All mixed up














Putting in quart jars














Ready in about 10 days

No comments:

Post a Comment