Friday, October 21, 2016

Skillet Chicken Meal W/Country Gravy

Oct 21 2016

Like a kid with a new toy I am having fun cooking on my new kitchen range. It was cold for outdoor cooking anyway! I had planned chicken thighs, onions, carrots and potatoes with country gravy in my cast iron skillet.

I started off with making the country gravy, Pioneer brand and heated some lard in the skillet to brown the chicken. I browned the chicken seasoned with just salt and pepper on medium heat for 4 minutes per side then removed.

I added a chopped sweet onion until it started to brown then added some Dutch baby potatoes and carrots and let them go about 5 minutes.  I dumped the veggies in a colander to drain the grease; back in the skillet and added in the chicken and the gravy.

I had the convection oven heating to 350 deg. and as soon as it was hot I put the skillet in. This was at 6:17 so I figured I would check it at 6:45 to see what the temp of the chicken was. I had figured it might have to cook a little longer to get the thighs at 170 deg. IT. When I checked it it was 200 deg. IT; I was surprised since normally I would do chicken 45 minutes to 1 hour.


We had some toasted English muffins with it. The wife who doesn’t normally like thighs said the chicken is pretty good. I mashed up my potatoes and had gravy over. Note I went easy on the butter; but I had good gravy to sop up with it!

My new GE Range














Ingredients














Country gravy made














Browning the chicken














Sauteing the onions














Potatoes and carrots added














All in then poured the gravy over














Done in my convection oven














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment