Sunday, April 3, 2016

Black Porter Chili

Apr 02 2016

A cold week-end here in Ohio so it was a good time to fix this chili I wanted to try. I found the recipe on a food blog called cakenknife. The long list of seasonings alone would turn me off but the inclusion of a black porter beer got my attention so had to try it.

I had a pillsbury ritz pie crust in the freezer that needed used so I baked a buttermilk pie for our dessert. I had a recipe from my sister I always use. It calls for 1 ½ cups sugar; for a change I used a half cup of brown sugar and a cup of white sugar. I thought it turned out a little better.

The recipe used some vanilla porter but I used my favorite Deschutes Black Butte Porter. I stayed pretty true to the recipe. I used rounded measuring spoons for all the spices, smoked insted of sweet paprika and ground chipotle chili instead of cayene.

The recipe called for cooking the onions in a little olive oil and then adding the meat to brown up and then adding the rest of the ingredients. I did it my usual way for chili, after I have the meat and onions browned I add all the dry ingredients and cook a few minutes stirring. I then add any liquid I am using to deglaze the pan. I then add all the rest of the ingredients. After it comes to a boil I turn down to low and like to let it simmer 2 to 3 hours for the best flavor. If it's a thick chili I will partially cover but for a thin watery chili I leave the lid off.

I like to serve chili with shredded cheese, sour cream and some buttered saltines. I thought the chili had great flavor for one a little different. My wife tasted it and said she didn't like it too well. I had the half can of tomato paste left and told her to stir a Tbs. of that in and the cheese and sour cream would cut it some. She tried that and liked it. Our daughter thought it was pretty good.

The buttermilk pie was a perfect dessert after some spicey chili.

Click Here for link to chili recipe
Click Here for printable pie recipe

For the pie















For the chili














Dry seasonings














Meat and onions browning














Dry seasoning added














All in the pot














Simmered over 2 hours ready to serve














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment