Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Baked Steak, Cheesy Potatoes and Jiffy Corn

Apr 04 2016

Well we may get back to normal soon. Our daughter moved in with us last Thanksgiving after 17 years in the Chicago suberbs teaching school, she has her Masters in Spanish. She substituted teaching in a school nearby but got a pretty nice job at Bowling Green University Library. She has been commuting since the first of February but it's a 70 mile drive one way. She found an apartment there and is moving this week end.

I asked her if she had a request for a meal this week and she said baked steak and cheesy potatoes. I was glad she picked that since I had not made baked steak in a while. It would also taste good with the cold weather here.

The baked steak I got from my mother, she cut round or sirloin steak into serving size pieces, pounded both sides with a tenderizer mallet, salt and pepper then dredged in some flour then browned in a skillet. After browning it went into a casserloe dish, some mushroom soup poured over. She baked it for an hour at 350 deg. lid on for 40 minutes then took the lid off the last 20 minutes. I have found I like Campbell's beefy mushroom the best.

The cheesy potatoes came from my Mom too. She always par boild sliced potatoes, then added a can of Campbell's cheddar cheese, a 1/3 cup of half and half and some grated cheese over top. Bake at 350 deg. for an hour. I found it is just as good if you skip the par boil and bake lid on for an hour then lid off a half hour.

I wanted to get a head start so I sliced my potatoes on a mandolin, about ¼ inch thick, put them in a bowl with a can of lager light beer and a Tbs. of salt. They went in the fridge until time to cook.

Our daughter would be home by 6:30 so I got my potatoes ready to go at 5:00. I rinsed them and let dry a while; added them to a bowl and stirred in the can of cheddar cheese and tried to get all the slices coated with some cheese. I added 1/3 cup of half and half and some salt and pepper. I usually added a couple handfulls of shredded cheddar but for these all I had was some mild cheddar I had to grate over.

After I got the potatoes in I had plenty of time to brown up my steak and mix up some Jiffy Corn Pudding for another side. I had just over a pound of sirloin tip steaks from my butcher, it was thin so I didn't tenderize it or dredge in flour. I browned it in a little olive oil with some salt and pepper. Added it to a casserole dish, deglazed the skillet with a little water and poured it over the steak; then added a can of beefy mushroom soup.

I covered the steak and mixed up my Jiffy Corn Pudding then got it and the steaks in the oven at 5:30.

Art 6:05 I took the lid of of steak and potatoes. At 6:30 I took all out of the oven and covered, turned up the oven to 375 and baked some bake at home garlic knots for 4 minutes.

Click Here for printable corn recipe

The sirloin














Browned and pan juices poured over














Beefy mushroom soup added














Potatoes ready for the oven














Corn ready for the oven














All done and ready to serve
















My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment