Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pork Chops with Potatoes, Carrots and Cabbage

Jul 26 2014

Friday I was happy to get the picket fence done at our sons. We got the gate in and all looks nice. Now all it needs is for his wife to white wash it.

Today I got a 5 slat wood bench stained and now all my outdoor furniture looks nice. I had four nice center cut pork chops and was hungry for some potatoes, cabbage and carrots cooked up for supper.

I coated the chops with kosher salt and wrapped in plastic wrap and they were in the fridge about four hours. An hour and a half before smoking I wiped them good and placed in a pan with a rack and back in the fridge.

For the veggies I browned up some bacon in my cast iron chicken fryer, removed it and drained some of the grease then browned some onions just until getting brown. I then added the potatoes, carrots and cabbage wedges, about a half quart of chicken stock, salt and pepper and added the bacon back in. I brought it to a boil and then on slow simmer, covered for an hour and half. When I leave cabbage in wedges to cook I do not core it and then the wedges stay together for serving.

I heated my Traeger on 180 deg. I was getting 200 deg. grill level. I got the chops on at 4:45 and after 20 minutes went to 270 deg. grill level. At 5:20 I turned the chops and went to 300 deg. grill level and went to 350 grill level the last 15 minutes for, a total of 1 ¼ hours. If you note the one chop didn’t look like a center cut and that’s the one the cook ate!

I had some good bread and my compound butter to serve with the meal. I like to mash up my potatoes and carrots together, add some butter and broth from the veggies. It all tasted great.

Chops from my butcher Kah Meats














Wiped after a dry brine














For the veggies














Bacon browned














Onions in














All in














Ready for the smoker














After turning the chops














All done














Veggies are done














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment