Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Pad Thai, first cook in my new Wok

Jul 01 2014

I was anxious to try out my new seasoned wok. It has been awhile since I used a wok so my first cook would be Pad Thai. It is a popular dish from Thailand and fairly easy to cook. You can do shrimp or chicken or a combo of both. I just used shrimp for my dish. Tamarind is said to be essential and there is no good substitute for it other than sweet and sour. Tamarind is a pod like fruit and dried is usually used for Pad Thai, reconstituted in hot water. Rice noodles are used but you can make it with soba or wheat noodles.

I set up my gas burner outside and had all prepped to cook in dishes to add as I went. This was the first time I ever used a wok on gas heat and not sure why I never done it before now. I have had the gas burner about 30 years!

Earlier today I made up a tomato cucumber onion salad to serve with the Pad Thai.
2 med. tomatoes cut up
½ English cucumber, sliced thin
1 large Vidalia onion cut in wedges
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
2 TBS. Olive oil
Water to almost cover
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
Best if set overnight in the fridge

When I started to cook it went fast, barely had time to snap pics and a couple sips of beer! I had the wok a little too hot at first but got it turned down for a fun cook.

We all thought this was pretty good; the daughter in law and grandson ate with us. I had mine with some crushed red pepper, green onions and crushed cashews.

I can see I am going to have fun cooking out on my wok; it makes a healthy meal in between some good BBQ and will probably make some good sides to go with BBQ.
Ingredients














Wok kitchen ready














Sauteed shrimp then removed, set aside














One egg in














Green onions, garlic and chili powder in














Shrimp added back in














Bean sprouts in














Rice noodles and liquids added














My salad














My plate

No comments:

Post a Comment