Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chili Cheese Dogs

Yesterdays cook was fun, I was cooking for our neighbor’s grandson too, who is like family. He is 38 yrs. old & grew up with our children. He soon fell behind them after he started having epileptic seizures at an early age. He has had many trips to the Cleveland Clinic for treatments, & he is handicapped. He likes to come over with his Dr. Pepper & sit with me, he has trouble talking but we just enjoy each others company. He likes some of the food from the smoker so Sunday I told him Tues night we would have chili dogs. Last evening he sat with me while I fixed them & then we carried them to his grandparents, I had two for him & one each for his Mother & Grandmother too.

I had 8 old fashioned hot dogs from my butcher, Kah Meats. I got my sauce on about 3:30 & let it simmer on the stove, then went out to sit with Tony until it was time to cook. I got the smoker fired up & set to 250 deg. I took the sauce out at 5:30 & added the hot dogs. I planned to do them for ½ hour. After 10 min. I put a yellow squash on for the wife & I, & turned the smoker to 300 deg. At 6:00 all was ready, I made up the sandwiches for Tony & family & carried them over for him. That was an enjoyable cook & the chili dogs were pretty good. Shredded cheddar was added & I had mustard & chopped onion on mine. The sauce was pretty good so I will share the recipe, but I am still searching for that perfect sauce. A little like I have done with chili.

Printable Sauce Recipe

Ground Chuck


On the Smoker


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment