Monday, July 27, 2015

Margarita Chicken and Carolina Rice

Jul 26 2015

I had 4 thighs and a half cut up chicken in the freezer to use. I can’t remember the last time I had Margarita chicken. Reading one recipe the marinade was from scratch and also a brine since they added ¼ cup of salt to 3 cups water. It said to do for 8 to 12 hours.

I took a short cut and used a quart of Jose Cuervo margarita mix; I added a scant ¼ cup of coarse sea salt, a teaspoon of cumin and a heaping teaspoon of dried garlic flakes. I did not add any tequila. My chicken was in the marinade 12 hours. I drained and patted it dry and added a light coat of Galena St. Rub then in the fridge about 4 hours before cooking.

My sides were a simple tomato salad with onions, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and seasoning; and I did some Carolina rice that was seasoned and I added some chopped onion and peppers and had ready in my rice cooker.

The chicken was on for 2 ½ hours and was a little over done, the rice was not ready yet and in the middle of this the daughter in law and grandson came. She wanted to get an old curved top trunk we said she could have. She used my truck to take it home. The grandson ate some chicken and rice with us. When she got back she had some tomatoes and rice.


Even though the chicken was overdone it was still moist from the brine. The wife and grandson liked the taste of the marinade; for me it was too sweet. I forgot to add the Cholula chili lime hot sauce I had out for mine. The next time I want Margarita chicken I will just take the time to get all the ingredients and make the brine, marinade from scratch and probably add tequila.

Mt tomato salad














Chicken brined and seasoned














On the smoker














Ready to serve














My salad














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment