Friday, April 4, 2014

Baked Cod over Wild Mushroom Rice

Apr 03 2014

Last night we ate a little on the fat side, double brat burgers and butter on corn on the cob. Tonight I did something more on the healthy side, baked cod and wild mushroom rice with a side salad.

My salad was classic Romaine mix with some crumbled Feta with tomatoes and basil topped with Italian dressing.

I had some dried wild forest mix mushrooms and some porcini mushroom powder for the rice. I reconstituted the dried mushrooms in some hot water for about 2 hours. I chopped them up and then added a half cup of the soaking water to a 2 cup measuring beaker, added a heaping teaspoon of the mushroom powder and filled to 1 ¾ cups with chicken broth. I added the chopped mushrooms in and this would go in my rice cooker with a cup of rice and a pat of butter. I like using the rice cooker since it goes to warm hold when the rice is done and I can have it hot when ready to serve.

The cod was a nice filet of wild caught Atlantic from Krogers. I used a recipe from Rachel Ray but changed ingredients some and the process. Two hours before cook time I cut up the filet in serving size pieces. I put them in a baking dish and drizzled on some lemon juice, covered and in the fridge.

I had my salads made and a cup of Panko bread crumbs browned some in a skillet with a little butter and olive oil. I turned the rice cooker on and preheated the oven to 400 deg. This was at 5:15 and we would eat at 6:00.

I took the fish from the fridge and removed from the baking dish, wiped out the excess juice and a little olive oil on the bottom. The cod went back in and topped with Hawaiian red sea salt, dried garlic flakes, dried parsley and a little ground pepper. I then spread the Panko bread crumbs over and baked for 15 minutes.

I served the cod over the mushroom rice and all tasted great, it did need some more salt. The cod was just right, mild and flaky. I will be using this method for fish again. The soaking with lemon juice helps remove fishy taste and gives a good flavor along with the other seasoning.

For the rice














Mushrooms reconstituted














Cod filet














Toasted Panko crumbs














Olive oil and seasoning added














Ready to serve














My supper


My late night snack last night was some Limburger cheese on flip side pretzel crackers with some black raspberry jam. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment