Sunday, June 14, 2015

Smoked Rib Eye, Asparagus Salad and Bread

Jun 13 2015

I bought this thick slice of rib roast last Nov. thinking I would have it for Christmas but then a ruptured disc operation got in the way. I had vacuum sealed and frozen it. I decided to have a good salad and some crusty bread with it. I wanted to get this rib eye to rare +. The rib eye was 2 inches thick.

My seasoning was just salt and pepper. I salted the steak and on a rack in the fridge for about 2 hours before cooking. I added pepper before going on the smoker and finished on my Weber Spirit.

I wanted some Au Jus so made some, a 15 oz. can of Swanson’s beef north, a teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, a teaspoon of oregano, a pinch of thyme, a pinch of red pepper flakes and some dried garlic flakes. I boiled it down to half and added hot to the beef.

I had a take home and bake baguette I did in the oven and had a little butter with it.

I marinated the asparagus with a little olive oil, vinegar and Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle. I grilled the bundles on my Weber at 400 deg. about 7 minutes turning 3 times. I let it cool and cut in 1 inch pieces for the salad.

The rib eye went on my Traeger at 275 deg. about 300 deg. grill level. After 15 minutes I inserted a temp probe and it was 88 deg. IT. I upped the temp to 300 deg. and then 325 deg.  At 40 minutes it was at 127 deg. so it went on my Weber I had preheated to 400 deg. I had planned to sear the sides too but after 3 minutes on each side it was at 137 deg. IT

I took it inside and tented to rest 5 minutes while I dished up the salad and we buttered our bread. I sliced it in half and served it with some Au Jus over top. I think I got it close to the rare + like the wife and I like it. We both thought it was good and the salad was good too.

Click here for salad recipe

The grilled Asparagus














Take home and bake bread














The thawed rib eye

Salted for 2 hrs. in fridge














For the salad














Cheeses added














All mixed














Ready for the smoker














At 127 deg.F














Seared until 137 deg. F














Sliced in half














My salad














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment