Saturday, June 20, 2015

Sirloin Fajita Bowls

Jun 20 2015

Sliding Billy had a nice day and cooked up a mess of meat. Some of the rain he sent this way missed us so we had a decent day to cook out. I was glad of that for a while I thought I was going to have to cook inside. It gave me a chance to try out my new Camp Chef burner.

My wife went with the kids this am to see the grandson play in soccer tournament. Me and the dog made a food run to my Mothers.

I spotted these soft flour tortillas shaped like a bowl and got some to try. I had two pieces of sirloin tip steaks and I grilled them on my Weber Spirit on Grillen Grates and for once used the correct side. I got them in some marinade after getting back from my Moms. My marinade was ¼ cup olive oil, and filled the ¼ cup ¾ full of lime juice, a rounded teaspoon of chili powder, ½ teaspoon cumin, a teaspoon of sugar, a pinch of red pepper flakes, garlic flakes, salt and fresh ground pepper. I made it on the mild side for my wife. The sirloin was in the marinade for 4 hours.

The other ingredients for the fajitas was, sliced red, green, yellow and orange peppers and some sliced onions all sautéed, salsa, crumbled Queso fresco cheese and sour cream.

I had everything ready to go and my Weber on med. at 400 deg. I added some olive oil to my DeBuyer skillet and started the peppers sautéing on the gas burner. I did the steaks 1 1/2 minutes turned 90 deg. trying for nice grill marks and the same on the other side a total of 6 minutes. I took it all inside to make up the bowls. I would have been better off not worrying about grill marks and 4 minutes would have been better. The steaks were medium but still tasted great.

The bowls were so full we had to eat with a knife and fork.  They make for a nice display but I would prefer round flour tortillas to fold up. It was a great mix of flavors but after one bite I added some Cholula chili lime sauce to mine for some heat.


I was happy with the Camp Chef burner; it had great heat control and was able to get a little brown on the peppers and onions without getting them too soft.

The marinade














The steaks














In the marinade














Some peppers














Some onions














The tortilla bowls














Onions are on














Steaks are done and bowls heated














Peppers and onions done














Making the fajitas




























My supper with hot sauce added

No comments:

Post a Comment