Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Veggie Lasagna and Chicken side

I did this cook on Mon. July 30th.

Another hot muggy day here in Ohio. I ran into a slight snag; Walmart did not have all the ingredients I needed to make some sun dried tomato pesto, sun dried tomatoes in oil or black olives in oil. I had plenty of basil and wanted to use it. I did not feel like driving nine miles just for those ingredients so I bought some ready made sun dried tomato pesto and some basil pesto.

Tonight’s supper would be Veggie Lasagna for my veggie d-i-l and I had some cherry chipotle marinated chicken breasts, from my butcher Kah’s, for the meat eaters. The lasagna recipe was the Neely’s from food network and it called for 7 oz. of basil pesto. The sun dried tomato pesto was for having on some crusty bread. I guess you could call this a presto pesto meal!

I baked two loaves of take home & bake baguettes early. I started about 3:30 cooking my veggies & sauce. The recipe called for frozen spinach to mix with the ricotta cheese and basil pesto. Instead of the frozen I thinly sliced some fresh to use. The no cook lasagna noodles are sure a time saver when making lasagna.

I got the lasagna assembled and on my Traeger at 5:10 at 350 deg. It was covered in foil for 30 minutes then removed for the last 20 minutes. The chicken breasts were on for 30 minutes. I don’t think the lasagna is any better on the smoker but saved heating up the kitchen on a hot day.

Everyone liked the lasagna; that was the first time I did that recipe. Another veggie lasagna we all like is Paula Deen’s garden full of goodness. I was afraid the chicken would be too hot for my wife but she said it wasn’t bad. I was afraid it might be too cherry tasting for me but the chipotle complimented it and I liked it. The bread and sun dried tomato pesto hit the spot!

The Lasagna


My Bread


The chicken


Lasagna Ingredients


Layering the Lasagna


Chicken ready to smoke


Chickens done


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment