Friday, August 17, 2012

EZ Smoker Peeled Tomatoes

The next time you need to peel some tomatoes for a dish instead of messing with a large pot of boiling water to blanch and peel; just do them on your smoker. These I did on a cookie sheet sprayed w/olive oil and I wanted to save the juices so just cut the tops off. If you want to get rid of some of the water for salsa just slice up. I did these for 25 min. at 300 deg. let cool and peeled. If you want more smoke do them on smoke awhile. A lot easier and you can sit with a cold one while they are blanching!

With my second shelf I could do two cookie sheets loaded up with tomatoes at one time.
I very seldom try to get rid of the water. I figure that water has to have some flavor and I can always cook down to thicken to what I want and retain that flavor.

With these I am making a stewed tomato casserole, with toasted bread and some cheese on top.

Tomatoes ready to peel

Tomatoes peeled and chopped

Smokin Don

Mary's Old Fashioned Scalloped Tomatoes

I used the tomatoes and made this dish with Mary's recipe, from Deep South Dish blog and it is worth visiting her blog to get the recipe. She is one fine cook and has many great recipes.

Click here to visit Mary, and get her recipe.

I served this as a side with beef & noodles and mashed potatoes. I had a second helping of the tomatoes over mashed potatoes, yummy!

Mary's Tomatoes


No comments:

Post a Comment