Monday, August 20, 2012

Low-country Shrimp Boil

A shrimp boil is about my favorite dish to make. I have done them about every summer at least once; when the corn is fresh. I get my corn from Suter’s produce wagon and it is picked fresh daily. Shrimp boils are popular in the S.E. and south. In the S.E. it is known as low-country boil; aka Frogmore stew, or Beufort stew in S.C. and GA. A Cajun shrimp boil is about the same ingredients with cayenne pepper & hot sauce and they usually use andouille sausage. Ingredients are usually shrimp, smoked sausage, red potatoes, onions, and corn on the cob with varying seasoning.

My recipe was a lb. of, shell on, shrimp, smoked sausage, baby red potatoes, 2 onions quartered, 4 cloves of garlic, and 3 ears of smoked corn broken in thirds. Seasoning was about a Tbs. each of Zatarain’s liquid shrimp boil, Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice and a tsp. Cholula hot sauce.

I decided to try and kick mine up some by smoking the sausage & corn in my Traeger first to add some smoke taste. My butcher, Kah’s smoked sausage is not heavily smoked, IMO, so it wouldn’t hurt for more smoke. I did the sausage and corn on smoke for just over an hour.

I seasoned my water and got it on my outdoor gas cooker. I have an insert for my pot that makes it easy to serve when done. When it was at a good boil I added the sausage, potatoes, onions and garlic. After 20 minutes I added in the corn, and about 8 minutes later added the shrimp for 4 to 5 minutes. I poured it all onto a tray to serve.

This is more fun when done for a crowd but I made this for just the wife & I. The kids were gone to a party at my d-i-l’s parents in Toledo. Monday August 20th is our 46th anniversary; I took my wife out to eat Sat. evening and the shrimp boil was my cook for her.

I served it with some good crusty garlic bread & butter and some garlic butter for dipping the shrimp. I thought the sausage was better than usual and I could taste some smoke in the corn. The grease from the sausage makes the shrimp easy to peel and flavors it.

Note: the photo labeled “Our plate” we did not get it all ate but put a good dent in it!


Shrimp Boil


Ingredients


My Bread


Smoked sausage and corn


Shrimp boil done


Our Plate


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment