Saturday, August 25, 2012

Apple butter Stuffed Pork Chops and Three Sides

I had four thick pork chops from my butcher Kah Meats. My three sides are what made this meal. I don’t think I did these beautiful chops justice.

I brined the chops for 24 hours. Before cooking I rinsed and dried them. I stuffed them with a mix of onions sautéed in butter, some cornbread and apple butter. They went in the fridge to air dry for 2 hours. I did them on smoke for one hour then went to 275 deg. In another 40 min they were up to temp so dropped back to smoke mode while my sides finished. I brushed them 3 times with apple butter and a little Worcestershire sauce. Two hours total cook time.

I had three sides so my veggie d-i-l had plenty to eat. The one side I made the day before so just had to reheat. It was an equal amount of potatoes, turnips and carrots; mashed with butter.

I had fresh corn so mixed in some cornbread, cracker crumbs, two eggs and ½ cup of milk baked at 350 deg. for one hour.

My other side came from Mary at Deep South Dish; green tomato casserole. If you like southern cooking go visit her for some great recipes. She used all green tomatoes but I used 2 green, 2 half ripe, and two ripe tomatoes from my garden for my dish and baked them at 350 deg for 1 ½ hours. This tastes like fried green tomatoes without all the mess and fuss.

No one was crazy about the chops, my stuffing was a little too mushy and over all maybe too sweet. Next time I would just use cornbread and onions or no stuffing and serve with a mix of apple butter and apple sauce. The meat was tender and moist.

My son and grandson did not eat the tomatoes; that left more for the rest of us! My d-i-l just ate the sides. You see I need this many choices to satisfy this family! We had cornbread and butter too.

Link to Mary's Green Tomato Casserole recipe


The pork chops


My cornbread


Stuffing ingredients


Making the stuffing


Making the tomato casserole


A second layer


Chops stuffed


After an hour on smoke


Chops are done


Mt Plate


Smokin Don


No comments:

Post a Comment