Friday, August 10, 2012

Skyline Chili and Corn Taco Skillet

Today’s cook was a fun and easy one. It was a nice 80 deg day instead of 90! I had some fresh corn, cut from the cob; that needed used. I knew all liked the Skyline chili and my d-i-l was working the afternoon shift so I didn’t need to have a meatless dish for her. Skyline chili is a Cincinnati style chili, unique, unlike other chili. It is a fine ground beef and sauce chili, no beans, with a flavor all its own; a little on the runny side. Skyline is probably the most well known brand since it has restaurants in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Florida.

I made up this recipe to use my corn, about 15 oz. I sprayed a 9 inch cast iron skillet with olive oil. I layered soft corn tacos up the side, overlapping so I had two layers; and sprayed with some olive oil. I poured one 15 oz. can of Skyline chili in. I had drained the little bit of water off the top. I topped that with half my corn then about a cup of shredded four cheese Mexican blend. I then repeated that for a second layer.

I wanted to smoke it for 45 minutes then finish another 45 minutes. I held 170 to 180 deg. in smoke mode and was getting some good smoke. I then went to 300 deg. and finished the last 10 minutes at 350 deg. You might want to rotate the skillet some since you can see I got the back half a little browner on top.

I served this with a salad side. Promoting another Ohio product you can see I had some Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold, brewed in Cleveland, Ohio; with my meal. Everyone thought this was great and had seconds.

I thought I could taste a little smoke, my wife & son didn’t think so. I have done quite a few skillet meals in my Traeger and find there’s not much smoke flavor unless you use smoked meat in the dish. So to save time you could just do this at 325 to 350 deg. about 45 minutes or until bubbly and getting brown. This would be good with any chili or cheese of your choice.

Printable Taco Recipe

Some ingredients


A layer of tacos and a can of chili


One layer being made


Second layer added and ready for the smoker


After 45 minutes of smoke


All done


My Plate, my supper


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment