Monday, August 13, 2012

Cheeseburgers and Smokestack Cheesy Corn

I always want to try corn dishes. I found this recipe at Saveur.com for Smokestacks Cheesy Corn and knew I had to try it. With bacon and three kinds of cheese it sure sounded good. It would just be the wife & I and our grandson so I decided to have cheeseburgers and Ore Ida crispy rounds too.

I fired up my gas burner and a pot of water outside to blanch the corn. When I carried the corn in to cut off the cob I ask my grandson if he wanted an ear of corn while it was hot, this was about 10 am. He said “not for breakfast Grampa”! The same kid that was eating a small bowl of green olives for breakfast a few mornings before!

I know it’s a lot of photos of the corn but I love that Suter’s corn. Suter’s is a vegetable and fruit farm just north of here. They sell from the farm and 8 little red barns scattered over several counties. Mr. Suter hires college kids to pick and run the red barns every year. He said hot weather makes sweeter corn and he managed to grow a great crop this year even though we have had a drought. They irrigate when needed. I wish you all could try this corn.

I made up the cheesy corn a little early to put in the oven for 45 minutes. I had the smoker heated to 375 deg. with my cast iron grill grate in and did the potatoes for about 10 minutes before adding the burgers. I did the burgers for 20 minutes turning halfway, then added the cheese to melt and topped with the buns a minute to warm up.

It all tasted good but my corn was a little runny, I used a slotted spoon to serve. I guess I didn’t get the white sauce thick enough. My wife & I had some fresh tomatoes on our cheeseburger.


Waters about ready


Corns in


Corns done


I had to have an ear for Breakfast!


Burgers and taters about done


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment