Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chicken for Two Meals

Monday I smoked two chickens for two meals. I spatchcocked and brined overnight. The brine was ½ gallon of water, ½ cup salt, ½ cup brown sugar and 1 Tbs. Zatarain’s shrimp & crab boil.

I seasoned one with Lawry’s seasoning salt and one with Penzey’s Galena St. rub. I placed a pat of butter, seasoned with the appropriate rub, under each breast skin. I did them on smoke, 175 deg., for 45 minutes then went to 325 deg. At 1 ½ hours I sprayed with olive oil. One was done, 180 deg. breast IT, in just over 2 hours and about 5 to 10 minutes more for the other.

I let cool and the one w/Penzey’s rub went in the fridge to reheat for supper. I pulled the other one and diced to about ½ inch squares to make my pellet smoker chicken salad for Tuesday’s supper. Recipe is posted under poultry. I nuked the skin until crisp for a cooks treat!

Monday’s supper was some Yoder’s garlic redskin mashed potatoes, bought but as good as homemade. I cut up the chicken and everyone reheated it along with some of my cheesy corn.

This morning I made some taco chips from corn tortillas. I cut them into sixths on a cookie sheet, sprayed with olive oil, sprayed the chips with a little more olive oil. I did one batch plain and two batches with Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle. They were starting to brown up after 10 minutes in my convection oven.

I made a corn & tomato salad with about 2 cups of fresh corn, 2 med. fresh tomatoes diced, six cherry tomatoes halved, 1 small onion sliced thin and ¼ cup fresh basil sliced thin. The dressing was ¼ cup olive oil, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar and salt & pepper. The tomatoes and basil was from my garden.

I thought my d-i-l had today off so this was for her, but she had to work so probably had some after she got home at 11:00 pm. The rest of us enjoyed the two salads and taco chips. That was an easy prep meal for me.


The Chicken


Cut up for the Salad


Salad Ingredients


Finished Salad


Corn, tomato, basil salad


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment