Saturday, February 25, 2017

Red Beans w/Pickled Pork over Rice

Feb 25 2017

Today I am officially ANTIQUE, 75 years old. Yesterday I fixed one of my favorites, red beans and rice with pickled pork. My pickled pork was in the fridge ready to use.

I like to use little red beans instead of the red kidney beans. Most bean recipes I like to soak them over night and do low and slow on the stove top. The recipe called for cooking the beans for an hour then adding all the ingredients for another 1 ½ hours.

I like to do it in steps; after I washed and rinsed the beans I added 2 quarts of water brought to a boil and then simmered for an hour. I sliced about a pound of smoked sausage and browned it in a little olive oil and added it to the pot. After ½ hour I cut up the pickled pork in small pieces and added it to the pot.

In another ½ hour I sautéed the onions, garlic, celery and peppers just until soft and added them to the pot. I added the rest of the ingredients except for the green onions and parsley, I added them after another ½ hour. I let all simmer for another hour.

I served it over rice I had done in my rice cooker and chopped some green onions for on top along with more hot sauce. I had bread and butter on the side.

Click Here for printable recipe

Ingredients all but ketchup














The beans














Browning the sausage














Sausage & bay leaves added














Pickled pork added














Sauteeing the veggies














Veggies added














Green onions and parsley added














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment