Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Italian Sausage Sauce over Spaghetti Squash

Feb 08 2017

Tonight’s supper was tasty and pretty easy to make. We both like spaghetti squash, my favorite is just as a side with butter & garlic salt. The wife likes it with spaghetti sauce over it so I make it that way for her once in a while. You can make this in a bout 1 ½ hours.

The squash is hard shelled and hard to cut raw. I usually nuke it in the microwave 4 to 5 min. to soften and then cut in half. My small one tonight had a bad spot I had to cut out and was able then to cut in half. Some people cook them whole but I like to get the seeds & gook out of the center before cooking. I season them with some garlic salt and then place on a foil lined cookie sheet with a pat of butter under. I bake them at 350 deg. for one hour.

For the sauce I use ground chuck or Italian sausage or brats. Tonight I had 4 Italian brats from my butcher. I removed it from the casings and browned it up and then add in chopped onion, green peppers and garlic. I let that simmer about 5 minutes and then add in the sauce let simmer 15 to 20 minutes. My sauce tonight was Classico’s 4 cheeses. You can use any sauce you want or make your own. I usually rely on Classico or Newman’s Own for my sauces rather than make my own.

For a side I sautéed some sliced fennel, onions and garlic. I should have waited to near the end to add the garlic since I burnt it. It still tasted good.

I served the meat sauce over the squash, topped with some mozzarella and melted some under the broiler. We had toasted English muffins with it. Sorry I missed a shot of the finished sauce in the skillet.


Note: You can use the half squashes to serve from too. Just spoon the spaghetti sauce in the center of the squash.

Ingredients














Squash ready to bake














Brats browned, onions, green peppers & garlic added














The fennel














My side, bread & butter














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment