Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Cider Marinated Chicken Thigh Stacks

May 19 2015

Our nice 80 to 85 deg. temps left and a few days of cool 65 deg. weather has come in. Crazy Ohio weather!

I had not made any of my muffin pan chicken stacks in a while and I wanted something to take to my 93 year old Mother tomorrow. I got some of the ideas from a Rachael Ray recipe for a skillet meal. I took her ingredients, apple cider, sage, thyme and nutmeg to make a marinade for the chicken thighs.

I got my chicken thighs in to marinade about 4 hours before making them up. I had some Heartland organic thigh filets to use. They were large thighs so took an hour and 45 minutes to get to an IT above 170 deg. I love doing these muffin pan stacks and it is an easy way to get some bacon wrapped stuffed chicken without all the hassle of getting them wrapped. You do them for a half hour to 45 minutes and they are set up enough to remove from the pan and go on the grate to finish up.

I had some easy sides; Zatarain’s Yellow rice done in my rice cooker and some stuffed mushrooms from one grocery in town that are pretty decent. I get my rice started about 50 minutes before I plan to serve and it is done and on warm hold when we are ready to eat. I put the mushrooms on my smoker for the last 15 to 20 minutes. I had a loaf of garlic loaf of take home and bake bread for bread and a little butter to make all taste good!

The chicken stacks were tender and moist with great flavor; a keeper recipe for me. Seasoning wise mine needed more salt and next time I may add a little more sage. Anytime I use sage I want it to be a background flavor; not the first thing you taste. I used about 3 shakes and will try 6 the next time. I was a little leery of the sage, thyme, nutmeg mix but for this I think it works if you get it right for your taste.

My wife gave me a thumbs up on the chicken!

Click here for printable recipe
















Chicken ready for the fridge















Onion and apple slices















Making the stacks















40 Minutes in and ready to remove from the pan















Mushrooms added















About done















Stuffed mushrooms















Stacks ready to serve















My supper


No comments:

Post a Comment