Saturday, January 24, 2015

Smoked Chicken Caesar Salad

Jan 23 2015

We had been eating beef so told the wife to get a whole chicken to do. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it but wanted some of the carcass for Italian gravy. I decided I would do a chicken Caesar salad for something a little lighter.

I had some old crusty bread and made some croutons that would be good in the salad. I drizzled on some olive oil and seasoned with Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle and toasted them in the oven. I had spatchcocked the chicken and in brine overnight in the fridge.

I rinsed and dried it this morning and back in the fridge to dry for 4 or 5 hours. I tucked a pat of butter under each breast and seasoned with some Penzey’s Northwoods seasoning and a little granulated garlic. I got it on the smoker at 3:30 at 200 deg. grill level for ½ hour then ½ hour at 270 deg. then ½ hour at 340 deg. to 170 deg. breast IT. I let it cool for about ½ hour before slicing the breasts for the salad.

I baked some Red Lobster cheese and garlic biscuits to have with the salad. I made each salad with ½ head of Romaine,  croutons, Newmans Own creamy Caesar dressing, sliced breast, and shaved parmesan. I nuked each breast skin for a crispy chicorone to top the salad.


It all tasted pretty good!

Croutons















Ready for the smoker















About ready















Resting















My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment