Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Beef and Noodles over Mashed Potatoes and Dessert

Jan 19 2015

I haven’t had beef and noodles for so long I almost forgot how good it is! After more than 2 weeks of frigid weather I am hungry for something from my smoker too. This week end was nice enough but I am still not up to par yet.

For good beef and noodles you need homemade noodles. Since I am not good at making them I am lucky and have been buying them for years that come from a small bakery in Van Wert, OH near my hometown. They are better than any homemade I have ever tasted. I used to drive over and get some when I visited my Mom. Then a guy that cans beef and chicken, Waltz Meats buys them from the bakery and has them along with his canned meat at groceries around the area.  Now I can buy them locally.

I bought a small chuck roast, 1 ½ pounds from my butcher to use. I seasoned it with salt and pepper and browned it on all sides. It went into the Crockpot I had sprayed with a little olive oil and laid it on some sliced onions. I deglazed the skillet with some beef broth and poured it over the roast. I added enough beef broth to come up half way on the roast and sprinkled in some dried garlic flakes. It was on low about 7 hours total.

For our dessert tonight I made a peach and cream cheese pie after I got the beef on. I make it a lot since you don’t need to roll out the dough. I am not very good at rolling dough for noodles or pies! With this one I just place the dough in the pie pan and press it out with my fingers.

After I got the pie done I made my potatoes. I like russets for mashed potatoes but I had some baby yellow potatoes the needed used. I trimmed the ends leaving the skins on, cut up and boiled 15 minutes.
I drained them and added 4 Tbs. butter and 2 Tbs. sour cream to mash up. They would be easy to just nuke in the microwave at supper time.

At 4:30 I removed the roast and let it cool some the shredded and removed fat. It went back into the Crockpot and turned it up to high. A little before 6:00 I buttered some bread sprinkled on some Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle, some dried garlic flakes and a little parmesan Romano cheese. I toasted it under the broiler.


I served my wife then made up my plate. That sure tasted good!!! My dessert later was good too!

Beef chuck roast















Browning the roast















Deglazing the skillet















In the Crockpot for a while















Mashed potatoes made ahead















Crust and peaches for the pie















Cream cheese topping added with some sugar cinnamon















Done baking















Shredding the beef















The noodles















My supper















My dessert

No comments:

Post a Comment