Sunday, January 4, 2015

Fermented Beets

Jan 04 2015

I have been going a little buggy lately; since my back operation about 3 weeks ago I haven’t been able to do much. I have cooked a few meals but things that don’t take much prep or a lot of standing on my feet. I am anxious to get back to full time cooking.

I have made my own sauerkraut the last couple of years and have done at least 6 batches. I have wanted to do some red beets since my wife and I both love beets. I have a recipe that says you have to be careful doing beets; they have a lot of sugar so can go to alcohol. It said it was best to do in small batches and mix some turnips in with them.

Since you can use canned beets I could get these on without much work; all I had to do was peel the turnips and slice. I had three 15 oz. cans of sliced small beets and three turnips. I drained the beets and filled my half gallon jar alternating the beets and sliced turnips. I placed one large slice of turnip on top then covered with the ceramic weights and topped off with brine. The brine mix was 2 tablespoons of salt to 2 cups of water. I use filtered water and coarse grey sea salt.

The recipe said 5 to 12 days and I will go the 12 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment