Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Cheesy Baked Mush w/ Beef Braciole and Italian Gravy

Jan 27 2015

I had a loaf of cornmeal mush and about half left after frying some that needed used. I looked at some grits and polenta recipes and came up with one to use what I had on hand. I melted a couple pats of butter in a 10 inch casserole dish; I sliced the mush a good ¼ inch and made a layer. I beat an egg and added about 1 ½ cups cottage cheese, mixed up and layered over the mush. I added a layer of some shredded sharp cheddar and some Colby jack.

I put in another layer of mush and sprinkled some Penzey’s sandwich seasoning; any good garlic based seasoning salt will work. I finished it with a good layer of shredded triple cheddar. It went uncovered into a preheated oven at 325 deg. for an hour. If I was choosing the cheese I would go with shredded gruyere or Swiss on the bottom, mozzarella and parmesan on the top. For this I used what cheese I had on hand.

I had a beef braciole thawed that had been seasoned with Tee’s Top Secret seasoning and smoked on my Traeger. It went into a casserole dish with some left over Italian gravy and in the oven with the mush.

When that was done I toasted some garlic bread under the broiler, sliced the beef and served. The wife and I both liked it. The beef was tender and all tasted good with some of the Italian gravy over. The daughter in law stopped in before picking up the grandson at a friend’s house and ate some of the mush casserole with the Italian gravy and said it was good.

Making up the mush layers

















Braciole and gravy















Mush is done















My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment