Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy New Year to All

Where ever you are I hope the New Year brings you peace, happiness and good luck. In most countries they have a dish that is traditionaly served on New Years Day and is suppose to bring good luck in the new year. I don't remember any at home while growing up, it was just another day & we probably had whatever Mother had to fix. About 30 years ago I ran into a friend at the grocery, he had a lone can of sauerkraut. I ask about it & he said I have to have sauerkraut on New Years Day for good luck. I picked up a can too and a tradition was born for me. That friend has passed away but I don't think I have missed a year since having pork & kraut on New Years Day. For this year I have some bratwurst, bockwurst, and some of the leftover Pernil Asada to cook with the kraut. My wife will fix some of her Knopfles, German drop noodles to add and I will fix mashed potatoes to serve it over.

No comments:

Post a Comment