Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Smoked Brats, Cabbage and Potato Soup

Mar 21 2016

I had plenty of potatoes on hand and was hungry for cabbage. I thought about fried but we have had some fried meals lately. I thought I would get some brats from my butcher and just make some Brats, cabbage and potato soup; that would taste good and be better for us.

After lunch I smoked 4 brats on my Traeger a half hour at 200 deg, and then went to 300 deg. grill level and they were done in another 45 minutes. I let them cool some then in the fridge. While they were cooking I baked a take home and bake baguette to have with the soup.

I sliced up the brats about ½ injch, chopped a med. onion, peeled and dice 5 small yellow potatoes, and chopped a little over half med. head of cabbage. I sauted the onions in some brown butter just until starting to brown, then added the brats and cooked a while. I added in the cabbage, stirred well and cooked a while adding some salt and fresh ground pepper. I added the potatoes and  poured in a quart of Swanson's chicken stock and stirred to get the goodies from the bottom of the pan. I added about a teaspoon of garlic flakes and brought it to a good boil then down to low to cook about 40 minutes I added in about a tablespoon of dried parsley flakes near the end.


I filled bowls for us, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and under the broiler to melt. I think cheddar would have been better but I had Swiss that needed used! We all liked it, some tasty soup, quick and    easy. If you used smoked sausage or pre-cooked brats you could throw this together in a little over an hour.

Brats on my Traeger














Ingredients














Onions browned and Brats added














Chopped Cabbage














Cabbage added in














Potatoes














Potatoes and stock added in














Bread














Soups on ready to serve














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment