Monday, March 28, 2016

Our Easter Dinner 2016

Mar 27 2016

You couldn't ask for a nicer day for Easter; sunny all day and 70 deg. I had smoked my Kassler ham yesterday so all I had to do was warm it up in the Crockpot and prepare all my sides. I had plenty of time to sit out back sip on some beer and enjoy the nice weather.

With the ham I was having, bistro mashed potatoes, dressing, green bean casserole and hot crusty rolls.

I had read on warming up the ham and left it in the double foil wrap; in a Crockpot with a cup of water. It was set on high for one hour then down to low for three hours.

The bistro mashed potatoes were a white yam, a sweet potato and 5 small red potatoes. I peeled them and cut into chunks. I left some of the peel on the red potatoes. They were boiled for 20 minutes and drained. They went back in the pan with 5 pats of butter and roughly mashed, I added some half and half cream, about a ¼ cup and stirred.  You want them a little lumpy. I put them in a Crockpot on keep warm while I fixed the rest of the sides.

My dressing I used a recipe from my wife's cousin Suzie. It is light and not too heavy. French bread, onions, celery, butter and chicken stock. Southerners would probably call this Yankee dressing! I always thought this was Suzie's recipe but she got it from a friend Barb Cole. For today I reduced the recipe some since it makes a lot.

My green bean recipe is 1 can of cut green beans, 1 can of French cut green beans, a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and a half a 6 oz. can of French's fried onions. Mix all together and pour into a greased casserole dish, pour a little half and half cream over. In the oven covered at 350 deg. for 25 minutes and then remove the lid, cover with some more fried onions and bake another 20 minutes.

At 5:00 I checked the Kassler ham and it wa sat 155 deg. I was looking for 140 deg. I turned it down to keep warm until I was ready to serve at 6:00.

My sides were done so removed from the oven and baked my take home and bake crusty rolls. It was just the wife, daughter and me so I sliced the ham and we got our own plates ready.

I was afraid the ham would be too salty but it was just right, tender and moist. I didn't have gravy for the bistro mashed potatoes but I like them better with a couple pats of butter on top. It turned out pretty good, I think we all got full. For dessert I had a Kroger's rhubarb strawberry pie.

Click Here for printable potato recipe
Click Here for printable dressing recipe

Dressing mixed up














The potatoes














Green beans ready for the oven














The Bistro potatoes














Dressing is done














Green beans are done














Ham sliced














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment