Saturday, June 22, 2013

TQ Mayo Chicken

Jun 21 2013

Earlier I had done a Kassler brined chicken using cure #1 trying for a little ham flavor in chicken. It didn’t turn out the way I wanted. This time using a tip from fellow member of Lets Talk BBQ forum, Savannah Smoker I used Morton’s tender quick in the brine.

I spatchcocked a chicken and brined it for 24 hours. I also decided to rub the chicken with mayonnaise. I usually don’t like to try two new methods at once. This time it worked out for some super chicken IMHO.

I drained and rinsed the chicken and it went on a rack in the fridge for a few hours before cooking. Just before putting on the smoker I rubbed it down with a light coat of Hellmans mayonnaise and some Penzey’s Galena street rub.

I filled my Smok’n Spices RSI (Reusable Spice Infuser) with 100% apple wood pellets for some added smoke. It gives about an hour and a half of smoke. I was using oak in my Traeger. My smoker was running about 200 deg. on smoke mode P1. I put the chicken on and started easing the temp up.

It took about 15 minutes to get to 275 deg. and a grill level temp of 325 deg. I let it there for another half hour then went to 300 deg. and a grill level temp of 330 deg. I got my hearts of Romaine lettuce ready to go on the grill. I had thawed some Alexia sweet potato fries and they went on the smoker the last 35 minutes. Total cook time for the chicken to breast IT of 175 deg. was an hour and 40 minutes.

I sprayed the cut side of the Romaine with olive oil and charred on my Weber Q100 a couple of minutes; turned and drizzled on some balsamic vinegar olive oil mix and topped with a slice of tomato. I left it on the grill a few minutes. I served it with some shaved parmesan on top.

My plating was not too fancy here but I was hungry and in a hurry! I thought the chicken was the best I had done in a while. The mayo gave the skin a nice color and great taste. The chicken had the slight hammy taste I was looking for and very moist. My wife thought it was extra good too.

Printable brine recipe

In the brine

Ready for the smoker

About done

Ready to serve

Salad

My Plate


No comments:

Post a Comment