Thursday, June 27, 2013

Melted Onions and Tomatoes

Jun 23 2013

I was planning on using some leftover chicken for quesadillas for our supper and thought I would do some melted onions to add. Looking for my recipe I ran across one that also had tomatoes added to the onions so I thought it would be great as a topping on them.

I only had one large tomato to use and used 3 Vidalia onions. I think it would be better with equal amounts but it still turned out pretty well.

After I cooked them I turned up the heat and stirred to thicken some and went until I was getting a little browning. You could puree this in a blender to get a smoother sauce if you like.

Recipe:

Melted onions and tomatoes

3 to4 onions about a pound, sliced thin or chopped
3 to 4 tomatoes about a pound, diced
¼ cup olive oil, extra virgin or light, your preference
1 Tbs. kosher salt
Parchment paper

I had done just onions before this way and loved them; I like the addition of tomatoes too. Place all in a saucepan and mix; cover with parchment paper. Heat to a simmer on medium; when it starts to simmer turn down to low and cook for three hours. You can leave them at this thickness or if you want thicker turn up the heat and stir to cook down to your preference.

Uses are unlimited; I think with some Italian seasoning added it would make a great pizza sauce.


Onions and tomato

All in the pot

Simmering

After 3 hours

You can leave as above or cook down to thicken


No comments:

Post a Comment