Sunday, March 11, 2012

Balsamic Chicken & Asparagus Fried Rice

Our Saturday supper was white balsamic vinegar chicken & asparagus fried rice. I was not really into a mood for cooking. I have had a cold for a few days & when I am sick I almost shut down & do not want to do anything. I envy women; they seem to be able to keep on pluggin even when they are sick. It must be the mother instinct in them.

I seen this recipe at “Nibble Me This”, he used Girard’s white balsamic vinaigrette to marinade a spatchcocked chicken. I have used Girard’s dressings before, good, but a little pricier than other brands. He did his on a Green Egg at 350 deg, in a clay baking dish with some chicken broth added. I marinated the chicken for about 6 hours, added salt, pepper & some Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset seasoning. I did it in a corning ware dish & did mine on my Traeger at 325 deg. After an hour it was coming up slow so went to 350 deg & was done in another ½ hour.

I love stir fry of any kind. It is kind of a fail safe way of cooking and hard to mess up. Fried rice is a favorite. I fix the rice the day before & in the fridge overnight. I read once if you do this it doesn’t get as mushy & it works. I do mine in a skillet instead of a Wok & use med high heat. I prep buy having all my veggies cut up & chopped & in bowls to add when needed. Asparagus was my main veggie & would use, onions, garlic, green onions, a little green pepper, baby carrots, & sliced water chestnuts; I like those for a little crunch.

Fixins for Fried Rice


Marinated Chicken ready for the Smoker


I fried two beaten eggs, cut into 1/4 inch ribbons 1 inch long to add to the fried rice.


Onions, peppers & green onions sauteeing in olive oil & a few drops of sesame oil.


Here I added the baby carrots & sauteed for 3 to 4 minutes.


Added in the sliced water chestnuts & some soy sauce.


I first added the asparagus & sauteed several minutes, added in the rice & stirred to mix & then added the eggs. Let simmer a few minutes until serving.


Chicken is done


My Plate, some of the skin stuck to the dish, but I don't eat much of the skin.


Bottom line is the chicken was moist & tender but I didn't think it had that much flavor. Next time I will make up my own marinade. The fried rice was good. If you want to get the recipe for the chicken visit "Nibble Me This" under my favorite blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment